Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Art in the Oven

Ever since I got sick in Ecuador and almost died in Colombia, I've been taking it a little easy.  As my health improved, I got the bug to get back to creating.  Mostly that resulted in lots of sewing and many handmade Christmas gifts.  Some of the items that made me very happy to make for my loved ones: a stuffed owl, a chic diaper bag, artsy note cards, spicy cocoa mix, infused vodkas, a cloth CD case, a framed collage, and almond-cherry-chocolate-chunk biscotti.  Oh, how wish I took photos of everything before wrapping them!

Of course, I'm still sewing up cute handbags for my slowly but surely growing Etsy shop.  But my current mania is cooking.  I have always loved cooking.  I rarely follow a recipe strictly.  I usually tailor it to suit my own taste or to use whatever I have on hand.  Hubby and I have been wanting to eat healthier, and we are also trying to be more frugal, so I've been buying lots of fresh produce and cooking up scrumptious (mostly vegetarian) dishes.  I feel like I'm fueling my artistic spirit with my culinary exploits.  Here's a list of what I've cooked recently:

Garlic Stracciatella Soup with Carrots & Spinach ("Little Rag Soup")
Sweet Potato Oven Fries
Cauliflower & Potato Gratin
Shiitake Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
Pan Fried Tofu with Aunt Joan's Hot Pepper Jelly
Spinach & Tomato Quiche
Caesar-esque Salad w/Homemade Dressing
Quinoa with Almonds, Cherries, & Shallots
Polenta with Cherry Tomatoes & Onions
Baked Tofu with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Because I was thinking about cooking, which led me to thinking about frying, which led me to thinking about frying pans, I'll leave you with my favorite version of the song that frying pans always make me think of:

Better Than Ezra - Conjunction Junction (couldn't embed it, but you can watch it here):
http://www.spike.com/video/better-than-ezra/2786760

No comments:

Post a Comment